Aaron Gordy Sr. 1
- Born: 1748, Worcester Co., MD
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Hopkins
- Died: 06 Jun 1812-23 Dec 1814, Sussex Co., DE 2
- Buried: 1814, Gordy Family Cemetery, Hearns Crossroads, Sussex Co., DE
In the 1800 census, Aaron Gordy is listed in Little Creek Hundred, Sussex Co., DE with household as 30110-10110. In 1810, he is in the same area with household 01101-00201. These two items together suggest a birth year of 1755-1765. Some Gordy genealogies states he was born in 1748.
Tract "Hounds Ditch" that Aaron Gordy states he lives on in his will of 1812 is located in Sussex County about halfway between Laurel and Delmar along Salt Barn Road between Old Stage and Gordy Roads. "Gordy's Delight" is a bit further south and east of there.
Aaron Gordy wrote his will on Jun 6 1812 and it was probated on Dec 23 1814 in Sussex Co., DE as follows:
- To wife Elizabeth, all my estate during her widowhood
- To son, William, all that tract whereon I now live that is part of tract "Hounds Ditch" and part of "Gordys Delight" and young horse named Fose, feather bed/furniture, cow/calf.
- To daughter Hetty Gordy, one case of drawers, two pewter plates, three chairs, one cow/calf.
- To daughter Mary Gordy, one bed/furniture, and she to continue to have her home in my dwelling house and plantation after her mother's decease with her brother William as long as she remains unmarried
- To daughter Jane Gordy, one feather bed/furniture, one cow/calf, two pewter plates.
- All the remainder to my wife Elizabeth Gordy to dispose of in her will as she sees fit
- wife Elizabeth and son, Stephen Gordy to be executors of my estate
Witnesses: John James, John James Jr., Isaac James (SxW-G:23).
Aaron married Elizabeth Hopkins, daughter of Robert* Hopkins and Hannah (?). (Elizabeth Hopkins was born in 1760 in Worcester Co., MD, died in 1837 in Sussex Co., DE and was buried in 1837 in Gordy Family Cemetery, Hearns Crossroads, Sussex Co., DE.)