- Born: Apr 1876, McDonough Co., IL 1 2
The following is text from Nathaniel S. Haynes, History of the Disciples in Illinois 1819-1914, pages 277 - 280:
The Restoration Movement in Illinois: McDonough County
In 1832 the first Christian Church was organized in McDonough County at a point about one and a half miles north of Blandinsville, known as the Liberty Christian Church. Here the people of two pioneer settlements met to worship, the one known as the Jobe settlement a few miles to the south, and the other a few miles to the north, composed of a number of families, among whom were the Brightwells, Bradshaws, Cyruses and Hustons. In 1842 the town of Blandinsville was laid out and platted. In 1849 Liberty was abandoned as a meeting-place and the church of Blandinsville was organized by the members of the Jobe settlement. And about the same time the members of the north settlement organized the Bedford Church.
Organized 1849; present membership, 384; value of property, $25,000 ; Bible school began 1861; present enrollment, 164. The history of the church at Blandinsville is not materially different from others of like environments. The following have served as preachers or pastors: James K. Knox, Uriah Long, A. J. Kane, James D. Eads, John Rigdon, Milton Dodge, James R. Ross, Cornelius Ades, Patrick Murphy, Bedford Murphy, J. M. Martin, Robert Lieurance, J. H. Coffee, S. K. Hallam, H. R. Trickett, J. F. Leek, T. H. Goodnight, G. F. Adams, M. P. Hayden, J. Carroll Stark, George W. Ross, William Sumpter, J. S. Clements, W. A. Malone, Clarence Townley, Edward Richey, A. M. Hale, M. C. R. Wolford and D. J. Elsla.
The third house of worship was finished in 1911. It is a modern and beautiful structure with a seating capacity of eight hundred. The congregation has held many admirable people in its membership. It has given Allen Hitch and Wm. Enders to the ministry.