Ralph T.Whitelaw wrote a definitive and seminal tome on the Eastern Shore of Virginia lands called "Virginia's Eastern Shore, A History of Northampton and Accomack Counties" where he systematically laid out tracts, patents and land records and deeds. For our purposes here, we find in Whitelaw's segment A100, in 1664, a patent was given to John Cary for 400 acres. In 1696, he left 100 acres to his son Jeremiah and the home part balance to his son Solomon. In 1702, Jeremiah and Sarah Cary sold 50 acres to John Melson (Jr.), who in 1737 (with wife Mary) left this to his son John.
John married Elizabeth (?).