- Born: Abt 1744, Somerset Co., MD
- Marriage (1): Sophia Greer about 1769 in Worcester Co., MD
- Died: 16 Jul 1784-13 Jan 1786, Worcester Co., MD
On Dec 28 1770, Henry Greer conveyed land called "Florida" to John Greer, Merrill Maddux and John Dryden in consideration for the preferment of Lazarus Maddux who intermarried with Sophia, the daughter of said Henry Greer and the preferment of William and Elzey Maddux, sons of Lazarus/Sophia and grandsons of said Henry Greer. Henry Greer and Mary his wife to have use of the land during their natural lives. (WoLR-H:467). Lazarus Maddux paid a two shilling fine for this deed.
On Jan 25 1771, Lazarus Maddox, planter, purchased 50a of land, tract called "Flemings Pleasure", from John Kellam for £18 (WoLR-H:490). This land is located in the Pocomoke forest in 2017, near the intersection of Honeywell and Old Furnace Roads in Worcester County, MD.
On Jul 15 1780, Lazarus Maddox was listed in Capt. Charles Bennett's Company of the Wicomico Battalion of the Worcester Co., MD Militia during the American Revolution.
On Jul 16 1784, John Greer and Tabitha, his wife, and Mary Greer sold to John Peden 50a of land in tract "Florida", owned by Henry Greer, father of John, who devised 50a to son John. This record states the land adjoins that of Lazarus Maddux (WoLR-L:18).
Lazarus Maddox wrote his will on Jan 29 1783 and it was proven in Worcester Co. on Jan 13 1786 as:
- To daughter Mary Maddux, feather bed/furniture, cow/calf, small iron pot, two chairs, one ewe/lamb, one linnen wheel
- To son Elzey Maddux, £35 current money of Maryland,
- To loving wife Sophiah all the remaining part of my estate both real and personal during her widowhood to raise and support my children in particular my son William who I will and desire should be supported & maintained in a Christian like manner from the profits arising from my present dwelling plantation (by whomever possesses it) during his single life or unmarried.
- Afsd son William shall permit my wife and son Elzey to use/occupy all that tract/land given to my afsd son William by his grandfather Henry Greer.
- To son Lazarus, at death/marriage of my wife, all land I own, if he dies w/o issue, this to go to son Elzey Maddux
- rest of estate to four children William, Elzey, Mary and Lazarus divided equally
- appoint wife Sophiah Maddux as executrix
Witnesses: William Handy, Merrill Maddox (as Morel Maddux), Walter Clogg (as Clog)
Sophia Maddux came Feb 17 1786 and quit claim to her bequests of the will in exchange for her widow's thirds (WoW-1783/90:89)
Lazarus married Sophia Greer, daughter of Henry Greer and Mary (?), about 1769 in Worcester Co., MD. (Sophia Greer was born about 1746 in Worcester Co., MD and died after 1804 in Worcester Co., MD.)