- Born: 1738, Somerset Co., MD
- Marriage (1): Nelly* Otwell on 13 Feb 1763 in Coventry Parish, Somerset Co., MD
- Marriage (2): Sarah Evans in 1794
- Died: 1831, MD
John Pusey "Jr." lived right on the line between Somerset and Worcester Counties in Maryland. He was definitely born in Somerset (1738) because Worcester was not formed until 1742 but probably lived most of his adult life on the Worcester side of the line.
On Apr 1763, John Pusey Jr. bought 100a, part of tract "Windsor Castle" from William/Bridget Sullivan (SoLR-C:167). John Pusey (uncertain whether this was Sr. or Jr.) also bought land called "Truitts Chance" (100a) from William/Charity Truitt on Feb 12 1765 (proven Feb 22 1765) for 65 pounds. It is near Chesnut Oak Ridge and includes all gardens, buildings and orchards. (WoLR-F:282) "Truitts Chance" is located SE of modern Millsboro, DE and about a third of the way towards Laurel, DE - this was still accounted for as part of Worcester Co., MD prior to the Revolution. This tract happens to be near other land that the Otwell family owned, the surname of John Pusey Jr.'s wife.
On Mar 5 1770, John Pusey has his 100a "Windsor Castle" tract resurveyed to add vacant land and patented as "Addition to Windsor Castle" as 251.75a that was granted on Oct 11 1774. This land straddles the Worcester/Somerset border and is adjacent (to the east and south) of where Old Friendship Church stands today (2017).
John Harris Hayman and William ____ were chosen to settle dispute between John Puzey and Stephen Townsend. Said Puzey erected a mill on Beaverdam Branch (believe this to be modern day Pusey Mill Branch). Puzey was ordered to 'make over' 8 acres to Townsend...Feb 29 1788 (WoLR-M:318). [Note: this may be John C. Pusey, son of this John Pusey, as we know the former ran a mill at this location all his life but that mill could very likely had been built by the elder John Pusey as the younger John was only 21 at the time of this dispute]
John Puzey bought land called "Addition to Swine Harbour" (280a) for 182 pounds on Jun 13 1788 from John Fleming Jr. It is near where Henry Greer lately lived. (WoLR-M:380). John Puzey of Somerset County sold to Stephen Townsend land called "____ Harbour" (35a) on Mar 3 1790. (WoLR-N:162) Note, this tract is located modern-day rather circuitously laid out but surrounds the area where Honeywell Road and Old Furnace Roads meet at a fork of the Dividing Creek that marks the east side of "Jenkins Neck" - this fork was generally known back in the old days as Beaverdam Branch. The point where Old Furnace Road crosses this waterway, there was a mill operated by the Pusey family.
John married Nelly* Otwell, daughter of Francis Otwell and Mary (?), on 13 Feb 1763 in Coventry Parish, Somerset Co., MD. (Nelly* Otwell was born about 1740 in Worcester Co., MD and died before 1810 in Worcester Co., MD.)
John next married Sarah Evans in 1794. (Sarah Evans died on 10 Aug 1840.)