- Born: Abt 1638
- Marriage (1): Margaret Berry
- Died: 20 Nov 1695-04 Feb 1697, Somerset Co., MD
Walter Powell, a Quaker, came to Somerset County with wife Margaret and daughter Elizabeth from Accomack Co., VA c1669 and settled on the north side of Pocomoke River near its head.
On Aug 5 1679, Walter Powell had tract "Friends Gift" surveyed for 150a and "Olivers Portion" for 150a. On Aug 6 1679, Walter Powell had tract "Hilliards Discovery" surveyed for him for 150a and "Winter Quarter" of 200a. On May 2 1686, he had "Powells Inclusion" surveyed for 256a. On May 2 1687, he had tract "Powells Lot" surveyed for 443a. On May 27 1695, he had tract "Powells Recovery" surveyed for 112a. All these tracts are located in modern day (2017) in the vicinity of US50, US 113 and MD Route 90 intersections.
Walter Powell (Quaker), planter, wrote his will Nov 20 1695 on the "Seaboard" and it was proven in Somerset Co. on Feb 4 1697:
- to son William, the plantation I now live on called "Greenfield" and 50a called "Powells Addition" and 100a joining to "Whites Addition" and "Powells Lot", chest of drawers and my hand mill
- to son John, plantation called "Winter Quarter"
- to 2 daughters equally, Eliza. Tingle and Mary Evans, tracts "Hillards Discovery" and "Powells Mill Pond" 390a total
- to daughter Margaret Schoolfield, tracts called "Olivers Portion" 150a
- to daughter Catherine Powell, 150a tracts "Friends Gift"
- rest of estate to be divided between six children William, John, Eliza., Mary, Catherine, Sarah
- William and John Powell, Henry Schoofiled to be sole executors.
Witnesses: John Cornish, Peter Dent, Alexander Maddux, Henry Ayres, Archibald Holmes (MdW-7:151)
Walter married Margaret Berry. (Margaret Berry was born about 1650.)