Capt. John Jones
- Born: Abt 1730, Somerset Co., MD
- Marriage (1): Eleanor Dashiell
- Died: 30 Jun 1795, Somerset Co., MD
On Nov 1 1763, William Jones sold 151a of tract "First Addition to Hog Quarter" (sic, this is Second Additon) to William Taylor. On Aug 21 1765, he sold another 50a of the same tract to John Taylor (SoLR-D:3). In the 1783 Tax Assessment for Somerset County, John Jones is shown as holding 470a of "Second Addition To Hog Quarter".
John Jones ("of Princess Anne" as stated in the will index) wrote his will on Oct 2 1790 and it was proven in Somerset Co., MD on Jul 14 1795:
- To beloved wife Eleanor, real estate during her widowhood and equal share with my children of my personal estate
- To son Thomas Jones, lands and plantation "Second Addition To Hog Quarter" and reserving timber on lands for the benefit of son Tubman Jones
- To son Tubman Jones, lands on which I now live and benefit of timber on lands of son Thomas
- To daughters Bridget, Betsy and Eleanor Jones, 150 pounds current money of Maryland each tobe paid them by sons Thomas and Tubman
- Personal estate to be divided eually between wife and children
- If daughter Bridget Jones should intermarry with a certain William Evans of a certain John Bond, she to forfeit all claim to any of my estate.
- To son Thomas, my long gun
- To son Tubman, my short gun
- Appoint son Thomas and William Jones (of Thomas) as executors
Witnesses: Zadock Long, John Bloodsworth, John Wilkins (SoW-EB17:401)
For the land tract "Stitchill," that Capt. John Jones had surveyed in Somerset on Aug 15 1792, and associated records, we can glean more family information as it received patent on Oct 30 1801 with petitions and statements in the record:
-Statement of Thomas Hamilton and John Wilkins: that Capt. John Jones of Princess Ann Town d. ca 30 Jun 1795 leaving sons Thomas Jones and Tubman Jones and daughters Bridget Jones, Elizabeth Jones and Eleanor Jones (his only children and heirs) and that Tubman Jones d. Feb 1800 without issue
-Denwood Wilson assignment (04 Nov 1791) of 99.25 ac to WATERS ADDITION TO TIMBER TRACT, HOG YARD, ADD. TO BACHELORS HOLE per resurvey cert for DEER PARK (04 Dec 1787, Captain John Jones)
-Request for a patent to William Waters on 04 Nov 1791 on above 99.25 ac
-Petition by the 5 children that they are the heirs and for patent of confirmation to Thomas Jones
-Mathias Miles, father of George Miles (married Bridget Jones) d. Nov 1798, but his wife survived him; notation that Tubman Jones died intestate
-Petition by Thomas Jones (son of John Jones) for the present warrant; per John's will rights descend = to petitioner, Tubman Jones [now dec'd], Bridget [m. George Miles,now dec'd], Elizabeth [now wife of Henry Jones] and Eleanor Jones; and that Bridget Miles, Elizabeth Jones (and husband) and Eleanor Jones [by assignment 04 Mar 1807] xferred rights to STITCHILL to the petitioner
John married Eleanor Dashiell.