Hugh Tingle Sr.
- Born: 13 Apr 1654, Belton, Lincolnshire, England
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Powell about 1684 in Somerset Co., MD
- Died: 28 Apr 1728-22 Aug 1733, Somerset Co., MD
On Jul 18 1693, Thomas/Mary Fenwick conveyed 200a of land in tract "Dumfries" to Hugh Tingle (SoLR-L1:104). NOTE: This becames his dwelling plantation that he eventually bequeaths to son John Tingle an is located on the west side of Little Assawoman Bay just to the north of the modern MD/DE line and west of Fenwick, DE.
On Jun 12 1702, Hugh Tingle purchased land in "The Scottish Plot" from George/Priscilla Layfield (SoLR-L1:653). On Aug 15 1705, Hugh Tingle had tract "Parkers Denial" surveyed for 100a. Hugh Tingle wrote his will Apr 28 1728 and it was proven in Somerset Co. on Aug 22 1733 and left "Parkers Denial" to five children Hugh, John, Margaret Hudson, Sarah Collins and Elizabeth Tingle (MdW-20:786).
Hugh made a will on Apr 28 1723 and it was proven Aug 22 1733 in Worcester Co., MD.
- To eldest son Hugh tract "Layfield's Lott"
- To 3 daughters: Margaret Hudson, Sarah Collings & Elizabeth.
- To 5 children Hugh, John, Margaret, Sarah, Elizaeth: tract "Parkers Denial". Mentions brother John and his wife Samuel (sic) & their 2 children Littleton (under 21) and Samuel (under 21).
- To daughter Mary Cob. To son Daniel.
- To son John, Extr., & plantation Dumfries. Mentions grandson Littleton Tingle.
Witnesses: Richard Logwood, William Kennet & Benjamin Burton.
Hugh married Elizabeth Powell, daughter of Walter Powell and Margaret Berry, about 1684 in Somerset Co., MD. (Elizabeth Powell was born on 19 Jan 1669 in Accomack Co., VA and died 18 May 1740-19 Jul 1746 in Worcester Co., MD.)