2. Elizabeth Hitch 9 was born on 9 Oct 1850 in Cambridgeshire, England10,11,12 and died on 24 Dec 1912 in WI12 at age 62.
Elizabeth married Louis Mortier,12 son of John Mortier 12 and Barbara Katrina Muller,12 in 1873 in WI.12 Louis was born on 5 Feb 1843 in Belgium and died on 23 Feb 1917 in WI at age 74.
General Notes: Louis's dates of birth and death are as per his obituary in the "Palmyra Enterprise" of Thursday, 8 March 1917. His obituary is as follows:
"Louis Mortier was born in Belgium, Feb. 5, 1843, and died at the home of his son Jesse, in the town of LaGrange, Feb. 23, 1917.
"He came to this country with his parents when a boy and remained at home until he was eighteen, when he enlisted in Co. ___ heavy artillary. He gave three years of patriotic service to his country.
"He was married twice; one son Sherm Mortier of Milwaukee was born of the first marriage. In 1873 he was married to Elizabeth Hitch; to them were born two children, one son dying in infancy; the other, Jesse, with whom he had been making his home. They also adopted a little girl, now Mrs. Charles Steffins.
"For a number of years Mr. Mortier lived in Palmyra where he is well known and highly respected. He next moved to Little Prairie and lived there for eighteen years on the farm now owned by Lucien Washburne. From there he moved to LaGrange where he has lived for the last thirteen years. His wife died about four years ago.
"Mr. Mortier was of a very quiet disposition. He loved friends and was a good neighbor, but one of his chief characteristics was that he preferred to stay at home. He rarely ever left the farm. He was a most industrious man, and continued so until his last illness. He was a man of excellent principles, and was held in high esteem by his comrades and friends.
"The funeral service was held on Monday, Feb. 26, a short service being held at his home, followed by service in the Methodist church at Palmyra Rev. A. L. Tucker officiating.
"Besides his children he also leaves to mourn his death, a brother James of palmyra, and two sisters, Mrs. J. L. Rowe, and Mrs. T. H. Morris, also thirteen grandchildren.
"Another old resident and another comrade has passed on to a reward that is more than the gratitude of nation or friends."
Children from this marriage were:
+ 10 M i. (Infant Son) Mortier .12
+ 11 M ii. Jesse L. Mortier 12 was born in Aug 1876 in WI and died in 1934 in Jefferson Co., WI at age 58.
3. Annis Hitch 9 was born in 1854 in Whitewater, Walworth Co., WI.13,14
4. Mary A. Hitch was born from 1855 to 1856 in Whitewater, Walworth Co., WI.15,16
5. Amanda L. Hitch was born in 1857 in Whitewater, Walworth Co., WI.17,18
6. Caroline Hitch was born in 1858 in Whitewater, Walworth Co., WI.19,20
7. Jane E. Hitch was born on 15 Dec 1860 in Whitewater, Walworth Co., WI,21 died on 28 Apr 1882 in Jefferson Co., WI at age 21, and was buried about 1 May 1882 in Zion Cemetery, Jefferson Co., WI.
Jane married (?) Chapman on 23 Mar 1881 in Jefferson Co., WI.26
8. Sophia Hitch was born in 1862 in Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI.22
9. Thomas William Hitch was born on 16 Apr 1863 in Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI,2,23,24,25 died on 28 Oct 1955 in Ft. Atkinson, Jefferson Co., WI2 at age 92, and was buried about 31 Oct 1955 in Hilside Cemetery, Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI.2
Thomas married Mary Uglow Orchard, daughter of William Orchard and Mary Jolliffe, in 1884 in Rome, WI.2 Mary was born on 7 Mar 1863 in WI,24,27 died on 6 Feb 1936 in WI at age 72, and was buried about 9 Feb 1936 in Hilside Cemetery, Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI.2
Children from this marriage were:
+ 12 M i. Egbert L. (Bert) Hitch was born on 14 Mar 1885 in Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI,2,28,29,30 died on 29 Feb 1972 in Delavan, Walworth Co., WI31 at age 86, and was buried about 3 Mar 1972 in Spring Grove Cemetery, Walworth Co., WI.
+ 13 F ii. Orma Mary Hitch was born on 23 Aug 1888 in Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI.2,32
+ 14 M iii. Irving Hitch was born in 1889 in WI, died in 1893 in WI at age 4, and was buried in 1893 in Zion Cemetery, Jefferson Co., WI.
+ 15 M iv. Edward Edwin Hitch was born on 5 Dec 1889 in Palmyra, Jefferson Co., WI,2,33,34,35,36 died on 20 Jun 1965 in WI37 at age 75, and was buried about 23 Jun 1965 in Evergreen Cemetery, Ft. Atkinson, Jefferson Co., WI.